Technology at the Library
To reserve a 45 minute PC appointment, you may either call us at 508-532-5570, or click here to make a reservation yourself.
By using the free wireless service, you are agreeing to abide by the Framingham Public Library Internet Policy. All users are expected to use the Library’s wireless access in a legal and responsible manner.
Computers and Printing
We have a number of computers available for use in the library. Most computers can be used for accessing the Internet, and are configured with Microsoft Office 2007. All of our computers use Microsoft Windows 7. Our computers have time limits. Details vary by location, and may change depending on demand.
Black & white ($0.20 a page) and color ($0.30 a page) printing are available at all locations below.
Patrons generally must have a Minuteman library card to use the computers. In special circumstances, guest passes are available. For sanitary reasons, headphones are not available for computers . However, you may use your personal headphones if you like. You may also purchase headphones for $2 at the Circulation Desk.
- 19 computers
- 1 assistive technology station
- 1 computer for Microsoft Office use (no Internet)
- 1 computer with advanced software (Creation Station)
- 6 computers for homework and web browsing-- for children up to 12 years old
- 2 computers for older children or adults
- 3 iPads
- 2 AWE (early literacy) stations
- 8 computers for teens
- 2 computers
Christa McAuliffe Branch Library:
- 8 computers for adults
- 7 computers for teens
- 4 computers for children
- 4 iPads for children
- 2 AWE (early literacy) stations for children
- 1 assistive technology station
The Creation Station is located at the Main Library and offers access to advanced software applications. Thank you to The Friends of the Framingham Library for graciously providing funding for much of the Creation Station.
Software on the Creation Station:
- Adobe Creative Suite 6: Photoshop CS6, Acrobat X Pro, Flash Professional CS6, Illustrator CS6, Dreamweaver CS6, InDesign CS6, Fireworks CS6, Extension Manager CS6, Media Encoder CS6, ExtendedScript Toolkit CS6, Adobe Bridge CS6
- Microsoft Office 2010: Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, Access, InfoPath, OneNote, SharePoint Workspace
- More: Visio 2013, Project 2013, Visual Studio 2012, QuickBooks Premier Edition 2012, IrfanView, Windows MovieMaker, VLC, RealPlayer
Wacom Intous Draw Tablet for Creation Station
The Wacom tablet for the Creation Station is for in library use only, and must be checked out at the Reference Desk. You may use the tablet for up to three hours, with $1/hr late charge.
Public Wi-Fi is available at both the Main Library and the McAuliffe Branch. Instructions for connecting to the network are available in a wireless handout which is available at the Reference desk. Wireless printing is available at both the Main Library and McAuliffe Branch. Please ask at the Reference Desk for instructions.
Both the Main Library and McAuliffe Branch have easy-to-use scanners located at the Reference desk. You can scan documents, photos, pages from books, and more, and save your documents in formats such as PDF, Word, and JPEG. You have four choices for your documents, you can: (1) print in black & white or color, (2) send to e-mail, (3) upload to Google Docs, or (4) save to a flash drive.
Both the Main Library and the McAuliffe Branch have fax machines. Faxes sent to the USA, Canada, and the Caribbean cost $1.75 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page. International destinations cost $3.95 for the first page, and $3.45 for each additional page. Fax machines do not accept cash, only debit or credit cards.
There are black & white / color photocopy machines on each level of the Main Library. Copies are $0.20 a page for black & white and $0.30 a page for color. The McAuliffe Branch has two black & white / color copy machines. Copies are $0.20 a page for black & white and $0.30 a page for color.
NEW! VHS Viewing Station
Do you need a place to play your old VHS tapes? Come to the Reference Desk and sign up for a three hour time block to watch a videotape on our TV/VCR combo unit. A comfortable pair of over-the-ear headphones is available at the station.
Assistive Technology Stations
We have stations at both Main and McAuliffe to assist patrons who have impaired vision. Our technology includes:
- Devices to magnify books or objects, displaying the magnified image on a screen
- PCs with software to enlarge screen elements (for those with partial vision), and JAWS software, which allows completely blind patrons to use the computer
- A portable magnifier that patrons can use within the building
Meeting Room Technology
Several of our meeting rooms are equipped with projectors and built-in audio systems, for special programs. Contact Library Administration at 508-532-5570 x4333 to inquire about reserving a meeting room and for further information.
Literacy Unlimited Training Lab
Literacy Unlimited has 8 PCs at the Main Library which can be used by tutors and students who have been registered in advance by a Literacy Unlimited staff member. There are also several PCs (non-Internet) dedicated for learning languages.