Stress is a fact of life, but it doesn't have to run your life. Look here for help to reduce and manage your stress.
Last updated April 2018
- A perfect mess: The hidden benefits of disorder: How crammed closets, cluttered offices, and on-the-fly planning make the world a better place - 650.1 Abrahamson; multiple editions and formats available
- Getting things done: The art of stress-free productivity - 650.1 Allen; multiple editions and formats available
- Reclaim your brain : how to calm your thoughts, heal your mind, and bring your life back under control - 158.1 Annibali
- The American Yoga Association's beginner's manual - 613.7046 Christensen
- Moving into meditation : a 12-week mindfulness program for yoga practitioners - 294.344 Cushman
- The art of happiness : a handbook for living - 294.3 Dalai Lama; multiple editions and formats available
- Crazybusy: Overstretched, overbooked, and about to snap! - 158 Hallowell
- Meditation for fidgety skeptics : a 10% happier how-to book - 158.12 Harris
- Secular meditation : 32 practices for cultivating inner peace, compassion, and joy - 158.12 Heller
- Yoga : the path to holistic health - 613.7046 Iyengar; multiple editions and formats available
- Meditation for beginners - 158.12 Kornfield; multiple editions and formats available
- The Dharma of modern mindfulness : discovering the Buddhist teachings at the heart of mindfulness-based stress reduction - 294.3 Mulligan
- Peace in every step: The path of mindfulness in everyday life - 294.3 Nhat Hanh; multiple editions and formats available
- The one-minute meditator: Relieving stress and finding meaning in everyday life - 155.9 Nichol
- This is not the life I ordered: 50 ways to keep your head above water when life keeps dragging you down - 158 This
- Meditation to go : learn to relax, de-stress, find peace of mind - 158.12 Rodenbeck
- Knit yourself calm : a creative path to managing stress - 746.43 Rowe
- Why zebras don't get ulcers: An updated guide to stress, stress-related diseases, and coping - 616.98 Sapolsky; multiple editions and formats available
- Manage your stress : overcoming stress in the modern world - 155.9 Shrand
- The Mayo Clinic guide to stress-free living - 616.8522 Sood
- The mindful teen : powerful skills to help you handle stress one moment at a time - Y155.518 Vo
- The beginner's guide to meditation - 158.12 Young
- Discover Tai Chi with Scott Cole: AM & PM workouts - DVD 613.7148
- Qi gong for stress - DVD 613.7148 Qi
- Mindfulness & meditation. Stress reduction. Mindful parenting - DVD 155.9 Mindfulness
- Stress : portrait of a killer - DVD 155.9 Stress
- Yoga Journal's yoga for meditation - DVD 613.7046 Yoga
- International Stress Management Institute - Links, tips, information. Did you know that Nov 5 is National Stress Awareness Day in England? But in the U.S. it's the day after tax day!
- The International Critical Incident Stress Foundation - Focused primarily on crisis intervention, this site provides links to articles about how to talk to children about traumatic events, etc.
- Mayo Clinic: Stress Center - Short, useful articles on awareness and prevention of stress, as well as stress relief.
- MedlinePlus: Stress - Go to Health Topics and, in the "S" listings, pick Stress for well-chosen links to articles about mental and physical aspects of stress for all age groups.
- Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine - Affiliated with Massachusetts General Hospital, the institute's site lists local contacts, classes, clinical programs, articles.
- National Center for PTSD - The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs site for post-traumatic stress disorder.
- New American Dream - Dedicated to helping Americans shift toward saner, more sustainable lives through simplifying, conscious consumerism, and more.
- Learning Meditation - Visit the Meditation Room to try out different meditations.
- Head Space - Subscription based guided meditation from an app platform. Use from your computer, your tablet, or your smartphone.
- American Psychological Association - "Five tips to help manage stress" from the APA
All titles available in-library at FPL and online via RBdigital for Framingham residents
- Real Simple
- Yoga Journal
Join us for the Healthy Living Series, a one year program of free drop in exercise programs and health/nutrition classes geared towards people over the age of 55. Classes are held at the Main Library, the McAuliffe Branch Library, and the Callahan Center. This program is a joint effort of the Framingham Public Library and the Callahan Center. Click here for class schedules and more information.
For professional assistance locating the information you need:
- Telephone the Main Library Reference Department at 508-532-5570, extension 4361.
- Email your questions through our "Ask A Librarian" page.
- Visit the Main Library or the McAuliffe Branch for free access to the Internet and databases, and for assistance with research.