Off and Running: Marathons for Everyone
Marathons aren't just for the elites! There are many different ways to reach the finish line, from the gentle walk-run approach to more intense methods designed for reaching your Boston-qualifying time. Check here if you're determined that this is your year to run, or if you just want to explore what running more would look like in practical terms. You'll find training plans to suit a variety of fitness levels, advice on what to eat to fuel your running, and insipration to get you out the door when your motivation flags.
Last updated: April 2018
Training and Injury Prevention
- Marathoning for mortals : a regular person's guide to the joy of running or walking a half-marathon or marathon - 796 Bingham
- Chi marathon : the breakthrough natural running program for a pain-free half-marathon and marathon - 796.426 H634
- Marathon : the ultimate training guide - 796.426 H634; multiple editions and formats available
- Run fast: how to beat your best time every time - E-resource, available via Hoopla
- Boston Marathon : how to qualify! - 796.425 Galloway
- The run walk run method - 613.717 Galloway 2016, multiple editions and formats available
- Kara Goucher's running for women : from first steps to marathons - 796.42 Goucher
- Running a marathon for dummies - 796.425 Karp
- Meb for mortals : how to run, think and eat like a champion marathoner - 796.425 Keflezighi, multiple editions and formats available
Nutrition for Runners and Long-Distance Athletes
- Run fast. Eat slow : nourishing recipes for athletes - 641.563 Flanagan, multiple formats available
- No meat athlete : run on plants and discover your fittest, fastest, happiest self - 641.5636 Frazier
- Eat & run : my unlikely journey to ultramarathon greatness - 796.425 Jurek
Get Inspired: Running History and Culture
- The Boston Marathon : 100 years of blood, sweat, and cheers - 796.425 Boston
- Boston Marathon history by the mile - 796.425 Boston
- 26.2 miles to Boston : a journey into the heart of the Boston Marathon - 796.425 Connelly
- The Boston Marathon : a century of blood, sweat, and cheers - 796.425 Derderian
- The coolest race on Earth: mud, madmen, glaciers, and grannies at the Antarctica marathon -EBook, available through Hoopla
- Boston : a century of running : celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Boston Athletic Association Marathon - 796.425 Higdon
- Marathons of the world - 796.425 Jones
- What makes Olga run? : the mystery of the 90-something track star and what she can teach us about living longer, happier lives - 796.42 KOTELKO, O. Grierson, multiple copies and formats available
- Born to run : a hidden tribe, superathletes, and the greatest race the world has never seen - 796.42 McDougall, multiple copies and formats available
- Bricklayer Bill : the untold story of the workingman's Boston Marathon - 796.42 KEN
- The last pick : the Boston Marathon race director's road to success - 796.425 McGillivray
- What I talk about when I talk about running : a memoir - 796.42 Murakami, multiple formats available
- The Barkley Marathon : the race that eats its young - Available via Hoopla
- Patriots Day - DVD Rental
- Stronger - Multiple copies and formats available
- Couch to 5K - Aimed at the reasonably healthy person with little to no running experience, the popular "Couch to 5K" program is designed to coach you gradually from couch potato to safely finshing a 5K (3.1 miles) in just 9 weeks.
- Greater Framingham Running Club - Framingham’s hometown running club! Hosts several races throughout the year in addition to training runs, socials, and volunteer activities. Also provides a listing of races around New England.
- Greater Boston Track Club - A competitive track and field group of about 200 members in the Greater Boston area.
- South End Athletic Company running groups - Free running groups leaving weekly from various South End Athletic Company locations, good for runners of many abilities.
- Marathon Sports free running groups - Free running groups leaving weekly from various Marathon Sports locations, good for runners of many abilities.
- The November Project - A free early morning fitness group meeting in multiple locations, born in Boston and now nation-wide. Look here for cross training as the November Project includes stairs, sprints, calisthenics, and more.
- Boston Athletic Association - Home of the Boston Marathon (How to Qualify for the Boston Marathon).
- Runnersworld.com - Website of the magazine Runner’s World. Contains much of the same content as the magazine plus forums, reviews, tools and race calendars.
- Marathontrainingacademy.com - Home of the popular podcast Marathon Training Academy, which covers all aspects of long-distance running from beginner to expert level.
- USA Track and Field listing of registered New England running clubs
- Runningintheusa Marathon Finder - Search by date, state and more, or use the map view to browse. Also helpful in finding events of other distances.
All titles available in-library at FPL and online via RBdigital for Framingham residents
- Men's Fitness
- Men's Health
- Runners World
- Women's Health