Recovery and Substance Use Disorder
The Science of Addiction
- Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction by Judith Grisel 2019. 616.86 Grisel
- The Thirteenth Step: Addiction in the Age of Brain Science by Markus Heilig 2015. 616.86 Heilig
- Unbroken Brain: A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding Addiction by Maia Szalavitz 2016. 362.29 Szalavitz
- Beautiful Boy: A Father’s Journey Through His Son’s Addiction by David Sheff 2008. 362.29 Sheff
- Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola 2015. 362.292 Hepola
- Everything is Horrible and Wonderful: A Tragicomic Memoir of Genius, Heroin, Love, and Loss by Stephanie Wittels Wachs 2018. 362.293 Wittels Wachs
- If You Love Me: A Mother’s Journey Through Her Daughter’s Opioid Addiction by Maureen Cavanagh 2018. 362.29 Cavanagh
- Ninety Days: A Memoir of Recovery by Bill Clegg 2012. 362.29 Clegg
- The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath by Leslie Jamison 2018. 362.292 Jamison
The Opioid Addiction Crisis
- American Fix: Inside the Opioid Addiction Crisis—And How to End It by Ryan Hampton 2018. 362.29 Hampton
- American Overdose: The Opioid Tragedy in Three Acts by Chris McGreal 2018. 362.29 McGreal
- Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America by Beth Macy 2018. 362.29 Macy
- Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic by Sam Quinones 2015. 362.293 Quinones
- Our 50-State Border Crisis: How the Mexican Border Fuels the Drug Epidemic Across America by Howard G. Buffett 2018. 363.28 Buffett
- Pain Killer: An Empire of Deceit and the Origin of America’s Opioid Epidemic by Barry Meier 2018. 362.299 Meier
- Overcoming Opioid Addiction: the Authoritative Medical Guide for Patients, Families, Doctors, and Therapists by Adam Bisaga 2018. 362.293 Bisaga
- NOVA: Addiction. DVD 616.86 Addiction
Treatment and Recovery
- The Addiction Recovery Skills Workbook: Changing Addictive Behaviors Using CBT, Mindfulness, and Motivational Interviewing Techniques by Suzette Glasner-Edwards 2015. 616.86 Glasner Edwards
- The Addiction Solution: Treating Our Dependence on Opioids and Other Drugs by Lloyd I. Sederer 2018. 362.29 Sederer
- Assess, Rebuild, Connect: Creating a New Life Beyond Addiction by Adams Recovery Center 2018. 362.29 Assess
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change by Jeffrey Foote 2014. 616.86 Foote
- Breaking Addiction: A 7-Step Handbook for Ending Any Addiction by Lance Dodes 2011. 616.86 Dodes
- Inside Rehab: The Surprising Truth About Addiction Treatment—And How to Get Help that Works by Anne M. Fletcher 2013. 362.29 Fletcher
- The Mindful Path to Addiction Recovery: A Practical Guide to Regaining Control Over Your Life by Lawrence A. Peltz 2013. 616.86 Peltz
- Over the Influence: The Harm Reduction Guide to Controlling Your Drug and Alcohol Use by Patt Denning 2017. 362.29 Denning
- Recovery: Freedom From Our Addictions by Russell Brand 2017. 616.86 Brand
- What Addicts Know: 10 Lessons from Recovery to Benefit Everyone by Christopher Kennedy Lawford 2014. 616.86 Lawford
- MA Bureau of Substance Use Services Helpline. 800-327-5050, www.helplinema.org. Free, confidential info and referrals.
- Program RISE Opioid Overdoes Prevention Program. 508-935-2960. 1 Grant St. Suite 100, Framingham. Free, confidential info on opioid overdose prevention and access to treatment.
- SMOC Recovery Coaches. 508-232-8371. Support from experienced coaches for those in or wanting to be in recovery from an opioid use disorder.
- Learn to Cope. www.Learn2Cope.org. Support group for parents and families of those addicted to opioids and other drugs. Free Naloxone (Narcan) is available at meetings. Check their website for date, time, and place.
- Massachusetts Organization for Addicted Recovery (MOAR). www.moar-recovery.org/resources. Resource list for Massachusetts treatment and recovery services.